Learn the Importance of Let’s Encrypt SSL & Installation of Let’s Encrypt in GoDaddy Via Cpanel.
Let’s Encrypt is a free and open Certificate Authority Providing X.509 certificates. In this Tutorial, you will learn how to install Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate in Godaddy Linux Shared Hosting via Cpanel. You will be able to Setup Let’s Encrypt SSL under 5 minutes with this Guide.
Let’s Encrypt Provides Free SSL Certificate for 90 days under no renewal charge. Installing Let’s Encrypt in GoDaddy Linux Shared Hosting is Easy if you follow these steps correctly.
Let’s Encrypt is the only one free SSL provider in the world but doesn’t have Warranties, Assurance but still works great.
Importance of Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate
- SSL Certificate protects Sensitive Information.
- protects the website and visitor’s privacy.
- It Boosts your online presence.
- Improves online sales.
- Gives your site visitor’s Confidence.
- Improves web search, Trust and Ranking on the Search Engines.
- Gives you lock pad icon before https letting user’s known the website is a secured one.
- Search Engines like Google will Flag it as Not Secured Website if there is No SSL Certificate on your website.
Pros and Cons of using Let’s Encrypt SSL
- Pros: It Improves your online visibility, Free SSL Certificate Forever, Still has a Strong Encryption and Build’s Visitors Trust.
- Cons: It only has a 90 Days Validity period and have to regenerate a new SSL certificate from let’s encrypt once it Expires, Doesn’t have Warranties and Assurance.
The Key Ingredients to make Let’s Encrypt Work.
- Make sure your Domain Name is Pointed towards your Web Hosting which has a Cpanel.
- SSL Certificate is Only installed on Server Side, So your Domain Name must be associated with your web host.
- In our case, you will learn how to install Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate in Godaddy via Cpanel. As the majority of Hosting Company provide Cpanel to there Customers.
Important Notes To Remember Before Getting Started.
Before getting started you should remember that there are Only Main Three Steps Like Validating Domain Ownership, Generating SSL Certificate and Uploading Let’s Encrypt. (A Short Summary)
- It is a way to know the SSL Issuer Company that you own the Domain name.
- Verification Types: Automatic FTP Verification, Manual verification & Manual Verification(DNS).
- Please Note that you can use any One of the above methods which are enough to get you Verified.
Generating Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate.
- If Your Verification is Completed by Using any One of the methods Proceed to Download SSL Certificate. So You Files are now Generated.
Uploading Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate Files in GoDaddy Via Cpanel.
- Now that You have you Generated Let’s Encrypt Files you are ready to upload it via Cpanel.
Step by Step Guide to Install Let’s Encrypt in GoDaddy Linux shared Hosting via Cpanel.
- Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate is easy to install and to make it much easier Visit SSLFORFREE, This site lets you to Generate your Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate for Free.
- Type in your Domain Name and press Click on Create Free SSL Certificate Button.
Three types of Domain Ownership verification methods
- Automatic FTP Verification
- Manual verification
- Manual Verification(DNS)
You can use any One these verifications but I will Guide you Each One of these. Only One Verification Method is Enough to Get SSL Certificate Files.USE ANY ONE METHOD WHICH IS EASY FOR YOU.
Steps For Automatic FTP Verification
- Select Automatic FTP Verification, then You have to fill details of your FTP which you get by email when Registering for web hosting at Godaddy or you can Contact customer care of Godaddy.
- Note I am using my domain details in the Picture below, So here you should use your own necessary details & you can Click on Download Free SSL Certificate Button to Verify, Proceed.
Steps For Manual Verification by Uploading Files
- If you have selected Manual Verification then you have to click Manual verify Domain button and you will have to download both the files. For this purpose use Filezilla FTP software.
- Now you have to Create a folder named (.well-known) in the Root Folder of your domain Name and inside it Create Another folder named (acme-challenge) as shown in the picture below, Then Inside (acme-challenge) folder you have to upload two files you have downloaded.
- Now You have to validate by clicking on both the links and it will show the file names. Good, So Now both the links are accessible. Now proceed to Download SSL Certificate Button. To Understand Better Try Reading this Image below.
Steps For Manual Verification(DNS)
- If you have selected Manual Verification (DNS) then you have to update these TXT records settings in your Godaddy Account by clicking on DNS setting of your Domain name.
- Please Note this might be slow as it will take 24 hours to 48 hours or more to update in Global DNS Servers Round the world.
- Now You can verify the links by clicking on it and if successful it will show the values. Now it’s Time to proceed Download SSL Certificate.
Now That you have Successfully Learned all the three types of verification. You Can Choose Any One of the Methods which is easy for you and at last, you will get the SSL Certificate Files as Shown in the picture below.
Installing Let’s Encrypt in GoDaddy Via Cpanel.
- Now that you have successfully Generated the SSL Certificate Files, Go to your Godaddy account and Login into your web hosting Cpanel.
- Navigate Through Cpanel to see a menu called Security and then select SSL/TLS option as shown in the image below.
- You will see the SSL-TLS Management page and now you have to click on Manage SSL Sites link as shown in Image.
- Now you to select the Domain name for which you have generated Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate Files.
- Finally, Copy and Paste Exactly Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate files in order. Press the Install Certificate Button to Install & Update.
Checking If You have Successfully Installed Let’s Encrypt in GoDaddy.
- If Successfully Done, You can now check your website by inputting https:// or https://www Followed by your domain name in the Browser. It will show a lock pad before https.
- If Even Now it’s not showing https, you can clear your browser’s data, cache and try again. You will get a Lock pad and https before your domain name showing your website is now secured.
First of all Congrats, On Learning to install Let’s Encrypt in GoDaddy Linux Shared Hosting. Now You can use it to Generate Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate for any number Domain Names you have and have to follow these steps if using a Cpanel.
In Advance, Make sure to Regenerate the SSL Certificate before Expiry Date to Get LetsEncrypt Renew. The Process is Exactly the same and as you generate New SSL Certificates Files and Apply it will be again Valid for another 90 Days.
Let me Know in Comments How Well it Went for You and share this Article who really need help in setting up Free SSL for there website.